Scott Ireton

5 Flips | 1 Magazine | 6 Following | 2 Followers | @scottireton5 | Keep up with Scott Ireton on Flipboard, a place to see the stories, photos, and updates that matter to you. Flipboard creates a personalized magazine full of everything, from world news to life’s great moments. Download Flipboard for free and search for “Scott Ireton”

What The Top 1% Of Software Engineers Do That The Other 99% Do Not

<i>Answer by Michael O. Church, functional programmer and machine learning engineer, on Quora</i><p>My first inclination was to disclaim, “I’m not top 1%, maybe top <i>N</i>%” where N is some slightly higher integer, because false precision makes great humble-brags. In reality, I have a hard time identifying “top …

Nobel Prize Goes to Inventors of Blue LED: Why It Was Revolutionary

Blue-light innovation paved the way for a transformation in lighting efficiency.<p>The 2014 Nobel Prize in physics went Tuesday to three scientists who gave lighting a makeover by inventing blue LED lights. The award recognizes a seemingly commonplace innovation, but one that has paved the way for a …

LED Lights Shine In Nobel Prize; Now How About Your Home?

The Nobel Prize in physics was awarded Tuesday to three Japanese-born researchers for their work on the blue light-emitting diode, or LED.<p>And there's never been a better time to put their Nobel-prize winning discovery right in your own home. LED light bulbs, which use blue LEDs, are coming of age, …

Monster telescope breaks ground, will offer deepest views of universe

What promises to be the most advanced and sensitive telescope in the world, the massive Thirty Meter Telescope, officially breaks ground Tuesday in Hawaii. When completed, it will offer the deepest and sharpest views of our universe yet.<p>This thing is a monster. At 30 meters (98 feet), the TMT's …