Rachel

12 Flips | 3 Magazines | 10 Likes | 4 Following | 1 Follower | @rachelsantiagoo | Keep up with Rachel on Flipboard, a place to see the stories, photos, and updates that matter to you. Flipboard creates a personalized magazine full of everything, from world news to life’s great moments. Download Flipboard for free and search for “Rachel”

A new way to judge a book at speed: read only page 112

Do you read for two hours to decide if you’ve found a good book? From now on, I’m just reading page 112<p>I try my hardest to keep up with literary prize-related reading but I’m hopelessly behind on the latest Booker, Costa and Samuel Johnson winners (although I thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend …

Books

North Korea 'expelling undesirable elements' ahead of congress

Pyongyang reportedly evicting anyone considered ideologically suspect amid security concerns<p>North Korea is reportedly "cleansing" Pyongyang of undesirable elements ahead of the Workers' Party congress in May, triggering suggestions that the regime has security concerns.<p>South Korean media reported …

War is Unavoidable—and Other Hard Lessons from Homer’s Iliad

The epic tells us that the world is never going to revert to a peaceful state.<p>Homer’s Iliad—a 3,000-year-old epic poem—continues to shape how we think about war. “Every adjective evokes the destruction and tragedy of war,” says Caroline Alexander, author of The Iliad: A New Translation. Alexander, …

Chinese village destroys lavish golden statue of Chairman Mao

An imposing golden statue of China's late Communist leader Mao Zedong, which towered over crop fields in an eastern village, has been destroyed.<p>The …

These maps show the world's insane population concentration in cities

In the simple map above lies a stark spatial imbalance: half the people in the world cram into just 1 percent of the Earth's surface (in yellow), and the other half sprawl across the remaining 99 percent (in black).<p>Data viz extraordinaire Max Galka created this map using NASA's gridded population …

Geography

North Korea claims hydrogen bomb test

North Korea claims to have carried out its first successful test of a miniaturised hydrogen nuclear device.<p>The announcement on North Korean state television followed the detection of a 5.1 magnitude earthquake at the Punggye-ri site in the north of the isolated country. It’s where Pyongyang has …

The concept of different “learning styles” is one of the greatest neuroscience myths

Are you a visual learner who writes notes in a rainbow of different colors, or do you have to read something aloud before it will sink it? Chances are, you’ve been asked a similar question at some point in your life, and believe the concept of different “learning styles” is perfectly valid. But, as …

See Before-and-After Photos of the Changing Environment

Side-by-side comparisons reveal just how much glaciers, lakes, and snowpacks have been altered by nature and humans.<p>From the ice sheets of Greenland to the deserts of Arizona, many of the world’s landscapes have been dramatically transformed as their climate grows warmer and drier. At the same …

Charming Illustrations Reimagine Disney Animal Characters as Humans

What would animal characters from animated Disney films look like if they were human? Art student Alaina Bastian has imagined some of these scenarios in her charming series of illustrations called <i>Humanized</i>. Taking into consideration the visual style of each animated film, she replaces the creatures …

Three Category 4 Hurricanes in the Pacific Ocean: How Rare Is That?

Hurricane Central<p>Three Category 4 Hurricanes in the Pacific Ocean: How Rare Is That?<p>August 30 2015 12:00 AM EDT<p>weather.com<p>A very rare meteorological …

10 Luxurious Cabins That Are Well Worth the Trip

These far-flung resorts bring new meaning to getting away.<p>When you <i>need</i> to get away, a trip outside town isn't going to cut it. You need remote, you need relaxation, and you need luxury. We've picked out the world's most luxurious cabins, all of which are a flight and a bumpy Jeep ride away.

Touch, smell and eat your art at Tate Britain's 'Sensorium'

You don't just <i>look</i> at paintings anymore. A new exhibition at Tate Britain transforms visual art into a multi-sensory experience, surrounding …