Trauma-Informed DeEscalation of Angry and Aggressive Teens: From Wogan Training / Professional Development:
- Safety1: Don’t block a kid’s path or put your arm out to stop a student from leaving a classroom. No "hip checks."
- Safety2: Kid’s escalate quickly, go the opposite direction - slow things down, time is your friend for proximity, distance & safe space.
- Safety3: pause for the call, don’t be alone.
- Safety4: Avoid command language such as “You need to... I need you to...” vs. - "It's time to... Ask Questions; engage the frontal lobes. "What happened? Are you ready to...?
- Safety5: Rehearse Comprehensive School Safety Plans, Know your role and what you’ll do ahead of time, so you can #respond vs. #react.