Harley Wise Sr.

6 Flips | 1 Magazine | @harleywisesr1 | Keep up with Harley Wise Sr. on Flipboard, a place to see the stories, photos, and updates that matter to you. Flipboard creates a personalized magazine full of everything, from world news to life’s great moments. Download Flipboard for free and search for “Harley Wise Sr.”

Thanks for following, @TynemouthRC! Kenneth Garnett from Tynemouth rowed for Cambridge in the 1912 boat race http://t.co/YkwSSSy8HO

Russian troops waiting for the signal to attack. Ternopil, Ukraine. 1st of July 1917. The Summer Offensive, Kerensky Offensive, or Galician Offensive, (June-July, 1917), unsuccessful military operation of World War I, planned by the Russian minister of war Aleksander Kerensky. Kerensky’s timing was particularly inauspicious. After the February (March) Revolution, popular demands for peace had grown more intense, particularly within the army. Soldiers’ committees debated military issues and frequently vetoed officers’ orders. Discipline degenerated, and many soldiers made their private peace with the Germans and went home. The first coalition Provisional Government (formed in May 1917) continued to honour the alliances made by the deposed imperial government and hesitated to make a separate peace; it did agree, however, to wage only a defensive war. Nevertheless, Kerensky planned an offensive. He speculated that a victory would rally the Russian people behind the Provisional Government and also force the belligerents to make peace. On July 1st 1917, the Russian army, commanded by General Aleksey A. Brusilov, attacked the Austro-German forces along a broad front in Galicia and pushed toward Lvov. Although the Russian effort was initially successful, the soldiers soon refused to leave their trenches and fight. By July 3–4, the offensive had collapsed. On July 6 the Austrians and Germans launched a counteroffensive. They met little resistance and advanced through Galicia and into Ukraine, halting at the Zbruch River. (Colourised by Royston Leonard from the UK) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colourized-pictures-of-the-world-wars-and-other-periods-in-time/182158581977012

Log In or Sign Up to View

This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed.

French children surround a U.S. Army soldier as he lets them rummage through his rucksack for sweets following the U.S. victory of the Battle of Carentan and the liberation of the village from German forces. Carentan, Manche, Lower Normandy, France. 15 June 1944. In the immediate aftermath of the landings, the priority for the Allies at Utah Beach was to link up with the main Allied landings further east, and this job was tasked to the 101st division, who had landed in the area and had been conducting raids against inland targets—mainly artillery emplacements helping secure and cut off the landings from such threats as well as reinforcements. On June 9, the 101st Airborne Division had reorganised sufficiently from the haphazard scattering of its component units and managed to cross the flooded Douve River valley exploiting their superior training and utilising the few causeways passing through the flooded fields, and they captured Carentan the next day after a dawn attack in the all-day hard fought house to house fighting in the Battle of Carentan, where the German troops fought from strong prepared positions amongst the stone houses of the town. The capture of the town gave the Allies a continuous front joining Omaha to Utah Beach and the other three lodgements to the east of Utah. Possession of the town was maintained despite a German armour reinforced counterattack just to the south-west of town on the 13th known as the Battle of Bloody Gulch. (Colorised by Aurelijus Gančierius from Lithuania)

A US 3rd Armored Division M5A1 "Stuart" Light tank crosses through "La Vauterie," a hamlet of St Fromond a village situated on the left side of the Vire river in Normandy. This village was liberated on the 7th of July 1944 by the 117th U.S. Inf. Rgt. under the command of Colonel Henry E. Kelly of the 30th U.S.I.D.; the engineers of the 105th and 247th Engineer Battalion repaired the old stone-bridge and built another one (on dinghies) under German artillery fire + a pontoon-bridge and a foot-bridge for infantry. 3 days were necessary to resolve the traffic jam and organise the continuation of the assault progression towards "Pont-Hébert" and "St Jean de Daye". On the wall there are two "séances récréatives" (small country shows) placarded, many bullet holes and shrapnel impacts are visible. In front, a doll abandoned by her little owner is lying on a stone in sitting position. (Translated from the original French source) "Un char américain à La Vauterie, hameau de Saint-Fromond, il s'agit M5A1 "Stuart" de la 3rd Armored Div. L'affiche annonce dans la commune d'Airel des séances récréatives: "Les Irascibles" et "Le Fusilier Larifla". Ces deux communes sont distantes de 1 km, Airel (libération le 6 juillet) est sur la rive droite de la Vire et Saint-Fromond (libération le 7 juillet) sur la rive gauche. Les deux communes ont été libérées par le 117th Inf. Rgt du colonel Henry E. Kelly de la 30th Inf. Div. US ; les sapeurs des 105th et 247th Engineer Battalion (Combat) réparèrent le pont de pierres et construisirent sous le feu de l'artillerie allemande un pont sur bateaux pneumatiques, un pont flottant léger et une passerelle pour l'infanterie, il fallu trois jours pour résorber l'engorgement et s'élancer vers Pont-Hébert et Saint Jean de Daye. Sur une pierre a été disposée une poupée !" (Colourised by Royston Leonard UK) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Colourized-pictures-of-the-world-wars-and-other-periods-in-time/182158581977012