Destiny Lugardo

12 Added | 1 Magazine | @destinylugardo | Keep up with Destiny Lugardo on Flipboard, a place to see the stories, photos, and updates that matter to you. Flipboard creates a personalized magazine full of everything, from world news to life’s great moments. Download Flipboard for free and search for “Destiny Lugardo”

The Minimum Wage Shows Why (and How) We Should Vote Today

It is time for the states to lead.<p>Every once in awhile in the history of this great country of ours, the federal government just can't get the job done. Partisan gridlock, constitutional uncertainty, public distrust all play a role. But one of the great strengths of the American system is that the …

Economics

Two states vote today on legalizing marijuana. Prepare for the 'Green Rush'

One of the hottest issues in the midterm elections is lighting up – a joint – and the innovation shown by pot-related industries could teach Silicon Valley a lesson<p>Medical marijuana: as profitable as Apple stores, but only for high rollers All the latest on our election night liveblog here …

The right’s scary turning point: Why this election matters more than you think

Conventional wisdom says today’s results will only influence the courts. Here’s what’s really at stake<p>David Dayen<p>November 4, 2014 12:00pm (UTC)<p>Most political junkies spend Election Day scanning social media for exit polls and turnout predictions, or comparing data analysts to find out who will win …

Why Americans Should Care That The Chinese Box Office Will Hit Almost $5 Billion This Year

This year, the Chinese box office is expected to hit $4.9 billion which would be the biggest box office of all time in China. According to a report from the Chinese Film Producer’s Association, 51.4% of those films were made in China, the other 48.6% were foreign, mostly from the U.S.<p>That means …

Do the Most Hipster Thing Possible - Move to Des Moines

DES MOINES, Iowa—This is too nice a place to spawn a war cry. But if the city had one, it would be the sen­ti­ment heard across a down­town …

Des Moines

Why You Should Be a Traveler in a New Land, Not a Tourist

If you were to turn back time to a little more than a year ago, you would find a 15-year old me, fully armed with an empty passport and unfulfilled travel dreams. At that point, I'd only left the country one time in my life: I slipped across America's northernmost border when I was 13, wandered …

Travel

Why Your Current Social Media Strategy is Wrong

<i>Piers Cooper is CEO of Addvocate, a startup that created a platform to let brands harness the trust and breadth of the people who know their companies best.</i><p>Some of the biggest brands in the world are spending big bucks in the hope of turning paid likes and followers into measurable ROI. Guess what: …

Can anyone fill the competency gap?

Americans are ready for things to stop breaking. And after the events of last week, they may show a new interest in political candidates who can promise one simple skill: competence.<p>The public was already worn down by Washington gridlock and a general sense that the United States is in decline. …

How 3D Printing Will Impact Your Future

<i>Rudy de Waele is a Technology Innovation Strategist and Author/Curator of Shift 2020.</i><p>The first time I saw a 3D-printer in action was when I participated to the Singularity University Executive Program in the spring of 2011. It was a place that offered corporate executives and entrepreneurs the …

How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football

Football is in crisis, and it’s not just a matter of public relations. Not even shocking recent headlines about off-field violence against women and children can fully overshadow the growing calamity <i>on</i> the field: The nation’s most popular pastime is marred by brutality that, we now understand, …

Top 10 Ways to Generate Stand-Out Publicity

I am often asked about ways to market a product without spending a fortune. We all believe our product or service is "newsworthy," right? The key is to fine-tune your pitch -- just as you would to attract a new client and seek out the WIIFT -- What's In It For THEM. Figure that out before you make …

Top 10