The Bergdahl Files on Flipboard
By CNN | CNN's coverage of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's return home.
Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl will take desk job at Army post in Texas, military spokesman says
• Bergdahl has finished therapy at an Army hospital in San Antonio
• Stress will "increase dramatically" for soldier, mental health expert says
• He was released in May after five years in exchange for the …
Bowe Bergdahl nears end of reintegration into everyday life in military, U.S.
(CNN) -- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is "just about done" with the final phase of his reintegration, a military source with access to information on Bergdahl's care told CNN.
He is expected to be assigned shortly to a new Army …Bowe Bergdahl
(CNN) - Emotions ran high Wednesday at a hearing on Capitol Hill to examine the circumstances surrounding Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's capture by the Taliban in 2009 and the deal that led to his release in late May.
Bergdahl was captured after he walked off his base in Afghanistan's Paktika province, …Afghanistan
Two filmmakers are reportedly developing features about Bowe Bergdahl, the 28-year-old soldier who returned to the United States after five years in Taliban captivity.
Bergdahl's "life rights" are "still up for grabs," according to The Hollywood Reporter, one of the entertainment news outlets that …Movies
Bowe Bergdahl returns home -- to a long road ahead
(CNN) -- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the last American prisoner of war, returned home early Friday, his hero's welcome supplanted by a controversial prisoner swap and his reputation tarnished by accusations he was a deserter.
He arrived in San Antonio …Military
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is en route and expected to arrive in Texas
• The Daily Beast publishes letters from the soldier
• Bergdahl has been recovering at a military hospital in Germany
• He was released last month after five years in Taliban captivity
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is on a flight …Military
(CNN) – In this in-depth, three-part documentary, CNN's Jake Tapper reports on Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's time in captivity, life before the Army, and what happened the night he disappeared in Afghanistan.
Watch part two here, or by clicking on the video below.
Click to watch video
Watch part three here, or …Afghanistan
Julian Zelizer: Criticism of Obama foreign policy has been on the increase
• Hillary Clinton's book mentions her disagreement with Obama on Syrian rebels
• He says debate over prisoner swap for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl adds to the controversy
• Zelizer says foreign policy can have effect on …
Washington (CNN) – More Americans disapprove than approve of the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in exchange for five Taliban prisoners, according to two new national polls.
And the surveys indicate a wide partisan divide over the controversial deal, with most Republicans giving the exchange a thumbs …Taliban
Washington (CNN) - House Speaker John Boehner predicted Americans would die because of the swap of five Taliban detainees in exchange for the release of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
"We are going to pay for this. There is not any doubt in my mind that there are going to be costs, lost lives …John Boehner
The Bergdahl exchange: Catch up on the latest developments
(CNN) -- Lawmakers drew battle lines for a fresh round of sparring over U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl after a classified briefing Monday on the prisoner swap that led to his release. Authorities released an update about his condition. And …Bowe Bergdahl
(CNN) -- The five Taliban figures who got out of Guantanamo in exchange for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release would be taking an "enormous risk" if they return to the battlefield, Secretary of State John Kerry told CNN in an interview that aired Sunday.
"I'm not telling you that they don't have …John Kerry
(CNN) -- Much attention has been given to the claim made by the former platoonmates of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl that he is partly to blame for the deaths of six soldiers who were killed in the months after Bergdahl disappeared.
Some soldiers have gone so far as to say the six died while searching for …Bowe Bergdahl
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl writes on a paper plate because the helicopter is too loud
• "SF?" he writes to the crew in a shorthand for "Special Forces?"
• "Yes," at least one tells him, "we've been looking for you for a long time!"
• Bergdahl breaks down after realizing he's freed after five …
Bob Bergdahl, father of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, grew a beard like an Afghan villager's
• He learned Pashto to speak to his son's captors from afar
• Each morning, "my first thought is, my son is still a prisoner of war," he tells outlet
• His immersion into the Afghan mindset, however, has …
U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was released last weekend by the Taliban
• His case has drawn attention to other Americans held in the region
• Bob Levinson disappeared after to traveling to an Iranian island in 2007
• Other Americans are being held in Afghanistan and Pakistan
The recent release …Afghanistan
Washington (CNN) - While most in Washington fret about the potential return of five former Guantanamo detainees to the front lines in Afghanistan, the former head of U.S. operations in the war-torn country says the Taliban is now worse off after the swap for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
In an interview that aired Sunday on CNN, Secretary of State John Kerry defended the transfer of five Taliban detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in exchange for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, but even a leading Democratic senator raised questions about the administration’s handling of the …John Kerry
Rolling Stone writer and former soldier Matthew Farwell tells Brian Stelter about Bowe Bergdahl based on the 2012 article he collaborated on with the late Michael Hastings.
Stelter started the segment with this commentary:
Before we go any further on this Bergdahl story, I have to say something about …Bowe Bergdahl
(CNN) -- Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was physically abused during his five years in Taliban captivity and is suffering from psychological trauma, a senior U.S. official told CNN on Friday.
The information bolstered the White House argument that President Barack Obama needed to move quickly to secure …Taliban
(CNN) - U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who was promoted while held prisoner by the Taliban, said he wants to be recognized by his old rank, according to a senior U.S. official.
"In his mind, he's a Pfc," the official told CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr on Sunday.
Now in the beginning of the …White House
Gloria Borger, Ryan Lizza, Matt Lewis and Brian Stelter on how the media mood surrounding Bowe Bergdahl’s release turned from celebration to condemnation.Bowe Bergdahl
Accounts from book say Clinton calls Putin "thin-skinned" and "autocratic"
• Clinton raised the issue of negotiating for Bergdahl in new book, 'Hard Choices'
• Decision to get Army sergeant back from Taliban captivity has generated sharp controversy
• Clinton: Talking to Taliban over …
FBI: Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's parents have received threats
Hailey, Idaho (CNN) -- The FBI is investigating threats against the parents of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the latest development in a case that has put the spotlight on the circumstances surrounding his capture in Afghanistan and release by …Bowe Bergdahl
British filmmaker filmed Bergdahl's unit without helmets in the field
• Army source tells CNN discipline in unit was "lax"
• A former lieutenant colonel says unit's issues don't justify Bergdahl's actions
Just weeks before U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl walked off base and into Taliban …Bowe Bergdahl
Controversy roils over whether soldiers were killed because of search
• Former comrades accuse Bergdahl of desertion, though Hagel asks for fairness
• Obama broke the law in not notifying Congress, professor says
• Former troops violate nondisclosure pact to denounce Bergdahl's actions