Zachary

8 Flips | 1 Magazine | 6 Likes | @Zachary6p6n | Keep up with Zachary on Flipboard, a place to see the stories, photos, and updates that matter to you. Flipboard creates a personalized magazine full of everything, from world news to life’s great moments. Download Flipboard for free and search for “Zachary”

Here is why the top 2% of society should help the other 98%

Inequality "undermines the fabric of society," according to Unilever CEO Paul Polman. Unilever has a market cap of around $130 billion and owns household brands like Axe, Hellman's, Dove, Knorr, Ben & Jerry's, and Vaseline.<p>"Inequality is probably the biggest prohibitor that we face to creating a …

Why Music Works

In his consulting room at Berggasse 19, in central Vienna, Sigmund Freud came…<p>Many of us want to start our own businesses. Public space is filled …

12 Famous Scientists On The Possibility Of God

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the Mysterious."<p>When President Barack Obama nominated the Christian geneticist Francis Collins to head the National Institutes of Health in 2009, some American scientists questioned whether someone who professed a strong belief in God was qualified to …

Making Peace With Violence: Camus in Algeria

Sixty years ago today, Albert Camus gave the speech of his life. It was a speech, in fact, that nearly cost him his life, as well as one that failed in its goal of saving the lives of countless civilians, Arabs and French alike, caught in the vise of terrorism employed by both sides in Algeria’s …

The denial, the infantilising babble, and the fantasies that permeate politics

If we continue to airbrush our past and ignore human psychology in favour of glib sloganeering, how will we ever devise policies that succeed?<p>There appears to be a deep attraction to the naive idea that we can re-create ourselves and our societies at will, with no regard to who we are and where …

Economics

Ursula K. Le Guin documentary 70% funded on Kickstarter in 1 day

If the first day's contributions are any indication, a pending documentary about legendary American science-fiction and fantasy author Ursula K. Le Guin will be successfully funded on Kickstarter, and then some.<p>Filmmaker Arwen Curry started a Kickstarter campaign Feb. 1 to raise money for her …

Science Fiction

Despite total lack of evidence, Israeli court sentences ‘Hares Boys’ to 15 years in prison

<i>“It is a mistake to conceptualize ethnic cleansing simply as a physical act. It’s importance lies in its psychological power.” ~ Steven Salaita</i> <i></i><p>No …